Filter by Category
DAT: Acting Lab I
with Andres Mercado
Ready to become a movie star? In this training we will learn the fundamentals of script analysis, character development, and on-camera acting through scene study, monologues, and a variety of exercises.
Additional Information: Open to all members, recommended for new members. Highly recommended for Connect Crew and Events Unit members. This training can be taken more than once.
DAT: Writer's Room
with Gabriel Medina
Let’s write a script together! In this lab we will learn about the creative writing process and short film structure, then apply those skills in co-creating a script that we will film in the Summer. This year’s script will be set in a Magical Realist world, we encourage you to come with ideas and watch one or more of the following films prior to the lab:
- Pan’s Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro
- The Little Princess by Alfonso Cuarón
- Like Water for Chocolate by Alfonso Arau
Additional Information: Open to high school juniors, seniors, and college students interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting or curious about the writing process.
Partnership: WHS Internship at the NEST
Develop your skills in project management, film, and graphic design by working on projects for the NEST and the wider community. You will be a crucial part of moving our biggest and most important events and creative projects forward. Interested in graphic design? Help build an app for NEST Flight, our annual conference that serves 300 youth. Interested in film? Document events such as NEST Flight, NEST Birthday and Watsonville Film Festival in preparation to make a trailer for the new NEST film. Interested in project management? Design events in preparation to manage a production team to complete the trailer for the production.
Additional Information: The Professional Design Internship welcomes members of all skill levels. All we ask is that you come ready to learn and to work collaboratively. As a team we share responsibilities, pull ideas from multiple perspectives, and complete projects together.
Students have to be enrolled in this elective during 5th period at Watsonville High School. It covers a fine arts elective. Applications are available by contacting Alexis Flores.
DAT: Music Production I - Composing for Film + MultiMedia
with Tizok Ramirez
In this training members will learn basic techniques in writing music for film and multimedia projects. Members will be introduced to basic Music Theory and Genre, how to find the emotional response from a scene or clip, and how to construct a variety of sounds to produce a score using an MIDI along with industry level software such as pro tools.
Additional Information: Open to all members, recommended for new members interested in filmmaking or music production.
Next Training: Music Production II - Sound Production for Film + MultiMedia
DAT: Pre-Production Lab
with Gabriel Medina
The lab exposes members to project management for filmmaking through the roles of the Producer and Director and their relationship to the crew and cast. The lab is meant for highly motivated individuals who are looking for a career in the film and media industry. Members will learn how to schedule and plan a short film, how to work with cast and other crew members, and how to creatively and visually tell a story. This year’s short film, Maritza’s Maize, will focus on a young girl who must complete a set of 3 challenges in order to return to her home of Aztlan.
Additional Information:High school seniors are welcomed to participate, college members preferred. Must be available to film in Summer 2020 to participate in the Production Lab. Official pre-production training ends 3/19 and weekly production meetings will begin the following week on Wednesdays until production begins. If you are assigned to a key role you must attend weekly production meetings and enroll for the Production Lab.
Next course in series: Production Lab (Summer 2020)
Members will learn the following in the Pre-Production Lab:
- Script breakdowns, scheduling, casting, crew on-barding, budgeting , location scouting, artistic planning, and fundraising strategies for the short film.
- Art Direction, cinematography, storyboarding, floor plans, lighting plans, shot list.
- Working with actors and crew to create a short promotional video for fundraising.
- Members will be assigned key roles for the Summer Production such as Producer, Asst. Director, Gaffer, Grip, Camera Operator, Boom Operator, Production Designer, Director of Photography, Script Supervisor, Make-Up, Hair Stylist, etc.
DAT: Acting Lab II: Rehearsals for Short Film
Description: Members interested in acting for our summer film must go through our audition process in order to be casted for a role. Register for this training and we will send you a follow-up communication where you can schedule a time slot, and receive more information about our summer film project when it becomes available in early December. This year’s short film, Maritza’s Maize, will focus on a young girl who must complete a set of 3 challenges in order to return to her home of Aztlan.
Additional Information: Members must audition to participate in rehearsals. Please read the following before registering to receive more information:
- Auditions will begin in February and run through March
- Must have a 1-3 minute monologue memorized for your audition (check this site for a monologue)
- Rehearsals will run from April 6 - May 15 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4pm - 6pm (we can work with your schedule if you are casted)
- Final rehearsals will run from June 8 - July 10 (schedule will be determined based on director and actors availability during this period)
- Production will run from July 13 - July 31 (must be available during this time frame to participate)