Filter by Subcategory
DAT Media Creator Meetup (S)
with Jane Tobias
Join the Media Creator team for the opportunity to exercise your creativity! Earn volunteer hours while working to build the NEST community through small creative projects in graphic design and animation. This is a creative space, for creative thinkers, who have some creative solutions.
DAT Meetup: Production Meetings
with Gabriel Medina
During the Spring 19 we will be having Production Meetings where members can sit in and see how the Summer Production is coming along! Listen to updates from the Producer and Director of the film along with the Department Heads and Supervising Producers.
This is open to all members of the Digital NEST who either want to get involved with the Summer Film Project or just want to check out how production meetings work.
No deveices allowed into the space since we will be talking about confidential information pertaining to the Film Project.
DAT: Acting Lab: Preparing for the Casting Call
with Andres Mercado
In this 2 week workshop we will be preparing aspiring actors to audition for our Summer Film Production!
What is a casting call?
A casting call is an open audition for actors to come and read for a role and potentially get casted!
What will I learn in this workshop? You will learn:
- How to prepare a monolouge that will get you noticed by the Casting Directors
- How to perform a cold read when a script is given to you on the spot
- How to be confident when being interevied by a creative team
This is a great opportunty for those who would like to audition for our Summer film, or for those looking to gain insight on the casting for film process as an actor. We look forward to acting with you!
DAT: Audio Visual Journalism
with Sylvanna Falcon
Make yourself into a news reporter, local historian, and storyteller for your community. Professional journalists and UC Santa Cruz students and professors will show you how to gather, write and produce grassroots radio and video news. Your work will be published online and broadcast to every home around the Monterey Bay. You can make a name (and a career) for yourself while serving the community.
We'll dive deep into:
- Electronic news gathering
- Digital publication
- Studio audio production
- FM and remote broadcasting
- Web streaming.
We'll also cover:
- reporting ethics,
- writing for diverse audiences,
- social research methods, and
- A crash course on local government and social issues.
Along the way, we'll explore career options and income opportunities in local media and nationally-distributed programs, too.
Required for DMC Students.
DAT: Casting Call for Summer Short Film
Open call to all members interested in auditioning for our Summer film.
More details coming soon!
DAT: Music Meetup
with Oliver Whitcroft
Join us in a fun interactive space where music lovers can come together to learn about music production, talk about the latest songs from the industry, and network with others interested in music. This is an open space for all music lovers and aspiring recording artist.
Open to all members, recommended for new members.
DAT: Photography Meetup
with David Rosales
Do you love taking photos with your camera or phone? Are you stuck in “auto mode” on your camera because “manual mode” seems too intimidating? Do you want to learn the basic understandings of exposures and other basics of your camera and photography? Join us in this creative open space to get the support and training you need to be a great photographer!
Open to all members, recommended for new members.
DAT: Pre-Production: Directors Lab
with Jane Tobias
Deadline: June 20, 2019
Digital NEST Studios is looking for highly motivated individuals to join the Creative Team as a Department Head for our Summer 2019 Short Film.
Director of Photography
- The DP, or cinematographer, is the camera and lighting supervisor on the production. Besides overseeing the work of the camera crew, the DP is also assisted by the grips and electricians in preparing the technical aspects of recording an image.
- Working under the supervision of the director and in coordination with the art director, the production designerdevelops, coordinates, facilitates, and oversees the design of the sets, whether on stage or practical locations.The production designer supervises the work of the construction crew, set decorating crew, and propertydepartment in conjunction with the director and DP.
- Working under the supervision of the production designer, the art director develops, coordinates, facilitates, and oversees the overall design of the production.
- The sound mixer is the on-set/on-location sound engineer responsible for the recording of production sound and any sync-related on-set sound mixing and playback.
- The gaffer is the chief lighting technician who supervises set lighting in accordance with the requirements of the DP.
- Assembles the various shots into a coherent film, working closely with the director.
Visual Effects Supervisor
- The visual effects supervisor is in charge of the visual effects department.
- The composer is responsible for writing the musical score for a film.
What is the time commitment? It's a big one...
- You must be available from February 26, 2019 through July 12, 2019. This is a professional project that requires a lot of time and energy, therefore we will have scheduled time off during this period that way cast and crew can rest.
- Must be available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm - 6pm starting February 26, 2019.
- Must be available during production: June 24, 2019 - July 12, 2019. Time is dependent on the schedule we create.
What is the eligibility to apply?
- Must be a high school junior or senior or up to the age of 24
- Must be a member of the Digital NEST
- Must be interested in filmmaking and/or pursing a career in filmmaking- Must have great time management and communication skills- Must love filmmaking!
I'm available and eligible! How do I apply?
- First, add yourself to the waitlist by selecting "Add to Waitlist" on this page. If you are selected to participate we will move you from the waitlist into the training as an active participant.
- Application Form: Please complete this Application Form. Give yourself 15 - 30 minutes to complete the application form. This form will help us determine if you meet the basic qualifications to be considered for this intensive training and opportunity. Must submit an Application Form AND add yourself to the waitlist to to be considered for an interview.
- Interviews: If you are successful in your application you will be invited to an interview with the Producing Team. Interviews will be 15 - 30 minutes each. We want to get a chance to know you a little better and make sure you are a good fit for our team.
- Invitation to Join: At the end of the interview cycle we will be inviting our top candidates to the positions listed.
Benefits of joining the 2019 Director's Lab:
- Gain valuable and professional experience in the filmmaking process.
- Work with people that share similar interests, aspirations, and the love for film!
- Receive a letter of recommendation and/or reference from the Producer and/or Director of the short film.
- Receive end credit at the end of the film- Receive IMDB credit - Receive professional work experience to add to your work resume- A pass to the 2020 Watsonville Film Festival as a Crew Member
And the cost, FREE!
For more information or questions please contact Jane Tobias at firstname.lastname@example.org